We want to remind you that the information provided does not constitute legal advice.
Have you ever wondered what your leadership style is? To be a high-performing entrepreneur, understanding who you are—flaws and all—in the workplace and beyond, is critically important.
“Is a happy leader a good leader?” A meta-analysis completed by Joseph, D. L., Dhanani, L. Y., Shen, W., McHugh, B. C., & McCord, M. A. (2015) showed a direct and positive correlation between emotions and leadership. Individuals who demonstrate high emotional intelligence are also high on transformational leadership. According to La Trobe University, “A high EQ helps you to build relationships, reduce team stress, defuse conflict and improve job satisfaction,” as well as building a workforce of empathy. Be the best leader you can be, and reach levels of success you never imagined by focusing on self-awareness, regulating your emotions, and managing your relationships.
What is a Transformational Leader?
James MacGregor Burns, an expert on leadership, introduced the concept of Transformational Leadership. His theory focuses on the positive effects your leadership style can have your team. This can include increasing their motivation, meeting their needs, as well improving their overall morality (Burns 1978). Quite literally, the basis of this approach is how you can transform your associates in wanting to change and to be led. This is just another way to add value to your team—individually and collectively.
The Four Is
There’s no “I” in team, but there are four of them in Transformational Leadership.
- Idealized Influence: These types of leaders are seen as exemplary role models who are admired, trusted, and respected. Talk about your core values, demonstrate confidence, and go beyond your own self-interests.
- Inspirational Motivation: Effective leaders are capable of influencing their followers to commit to the organization’s mission, make good decisions that align with the firm, and encourage team spirit. Be optimistic about the future, reinforce a well-refined vision, tell compelling stories, and show enthusiasm for the work.
- Individualized Consideration: A good leader not only cares about the organization as a whole; they show genuine interest and concern for their each of their associates’ needs, goals, and feelings. They work hard to bring out the best in each one by being a quality mentor, coach, and/or advisor.
- Intellectual Stimulation: Encourage your team to be creative and innovative by challenging the status quo, rethinking the norm, and questioning everything. In doing so, you are creating a culture of exceptional problem-solving, critical-thinking, and decision-making skills that ultimately lead to reaching goals.
Lead the Way with Vision
If you are exhibiting Transformational Leadership qualities, your employees are likely to be more loyal to the company and successful in their roles. The research shows these teams typically display higher levels of job satisfaction and overall a positive sense of well-being. Avoid turnover and low levels of performance by having a strong sense of vision. A developed vision that is regularly being emphasized and improved has a great effect on your workplace. It’s important to know that you not only need to believe in your vision, but your entire team must support it as well.
Dive into the Literature
CPLS, P.A.’s Private Corporate Counsel program includes advocates for continued growth and education. Learn more about leadership development by reading books on the subject matter. We recommend Ken Blanchard’s writings, with titles including but not limited to:
- The Serving Leader: Five Powerful Actions That Will Transform Your Team, Your Business, and Your Community
- Your Leadership Legacy: The Difference You Make in People’s Lives
- Leading at a Higher Level
Now’s the time to identify and improve your leadership abilities to be a successful entrepreneur. Book a free consultation with a Private Corporate Counsel™ today by calling us at 877-647-7887, or emailing us at email@example.com. Tell us: What does your future look like? Let us help you get there.